New York Slip & Fall Attorneys
Trip, Slip & Fall Injury Claims in the 5 Boroughs of New York City & the Surrounding Counties
If you or a loved one recently slipped, fell, and suffered injuries in New York, you may be able to recover financial compensation for your losses.
At The Law Firm of D.F. Truhowsky, our New York trip, slip, and fall lawyers fight to obtain wrongfully injured clients the maximum compensation possible for their:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- And other costs related to such mishaps
Property owners owe a duty to their visitors to keep them safe, and when that duty is violated and leads to harm, victims deserve justice. We are prepared to advocate for the financial compensation you are entitled to if you have a slip and fall claim.
Contact The Law Firm of D.F. Truhowsky online for a free case evaluation to learn what your next move should be and how we can help.
Who is Liable for Trip, Slip & Falls?
Property owners and managers owe what is known as a “duty of care” to anyone who visits their:
- Apartment complex
- Or whatever type of premises it is they own
In legal terms, this responsibility is known as “premises liability” and makes it so that property owners can be held responsible for injuries that befall their guests.
However, just because you accidentally stubbed your toe on someone’s table doesn’t mean you can sue. To have a viable premises liability claim and receive compensation, one of the following must be true:
- The owner or manager of the premises or a worker employed by the property owner or manager must have caused the hazard that led to your injury,
- The owner or manager of the premises or their employee must have been aware of the dangerous hazard but did nothing about it, or
- The owner or manager of the premises or their employee should have been aware of the hazard because a "reasonable" person in the same position would have discovered and either removed or repaired it.
Let’s say you tripped and fell due to a broken step on an old staircase in your apartment complex. You know dozens of other residents as well as the staff use those stairs every day, and yet neither the owner, manager nor their employee did anything to maintain their upkeep, causing them to fall into disrepair.
Also, there were no barricades blocking the broken stair or signs warning people to tread carefully. In this case, the property owner, manager and/or their employee caused the hazard that led to your injury because they did not maintain the old staircase, or they should have known about the dangers it posed but did not.
Since they did not make an effort to repair or rope off the broken step, you would likely be able to sue the property manager and/or building owner in this scenario.
What Are the Most Common Causes & Effects of Trip, Slip & Fall Accidents?
Property owners must take care of their entire property, including the area around the premises such as parking lots and sidewalks. Hazards both within and outside the premises must be managed or else injured visitors can take legal action.
Trip, slip and fall accidents are often caused by:
- Broken stairs
- Carpet that is torn or buckled
- Cluttered walkways
- Cords and cables running across the floor
- Lack of handrails
- Loose or broken floorboards
- Loose rugs or carpeting
- Open drawers or cabinets
- Poor lighting that makes it hard to see
- Recently mopped or waxed floors
- Snow- or ice-covered pavement or sidewalks
- Transitions from one walking surface to another (carpet to wood, for instance)
- Uneven or cracked pavement or sidewalks
- Wet floors caused by spills
How a New York Trip, Slip & Fall Attorney Can Help
While you might be entitled to financial compensation on paper after a slip and fall, you’ll likely face challenges receiving compensation throughout the course of your claim. Hiring an attorney with experience litigating slip and fall accident claims make the process much easier—and allows you more time to focus on getting better.
It also puts you in the best position to get all the money you are entitled to. Experienced slip and fall lawyers understand how to calculate the compensation you are owed and fight for it despite the tricks large corporations and insurance companies may try to pull to avoid paying you a settlement.